If you have satellite internet, there’s a chance it might not be as fast as you’d like. In fact, about a third of American households say their internet is too slow. When DSL, cable or fiber internet isn’t an option (usually because you live in a rural area), satellite internet can save the day. Since it has to bounce a signal into space and back, it’s often a bit slower than other internet options. However, there are a few things you can do to mitigate this problem. Here’s how to boost your satellite internet signal in San Bernardino County, CA:
- Move your satellite dish closer to the home: You’re probably familiar with the way wi-fi signals weaken the farther you move away from the router. The same thing happens with your satellite signal—the farther it is from your home, the weaker (and slower) the signal will be. Try to place your satellite dish as close to your modem as possible. Your internet provider will let you know whether it can safely be placed on the roof, the side of your home or other places nearby.
- Clear away trees, shrubbery and other obstructions: You’ll get the best satellite signal when your dish is free of obstructions like trees, bushes, leaves, debris and even snow. Make sure to keep your satellite as clear as possible, and trim any greenery that threatens to obstruct the dish.
- Find out if repositioning your dish will help: Did you know that all satellites in the northern hemisphere need to point south? Your internet provider should have positioned the dish to face that way when it was installed. However, the dish can be moved out of position by strong winds, stray frisbees and balls and more. If it doesn’t look like it’s pointing south, ask your internet provider if you (or they) should move it back into place.
- Consider a satellite in-line amplifier: A satellite amplifier improves the signal from the dish into your home, which in turn can help improve upload/download speeds and reduce latency. Ask your internet provider which ones they recommend.
- Ask to switch satellites: Satellite internet providers have multiple satellites, which orbit the earth. Sometimes one satellite is in a much better position than the others, which can improve your internet signal and speed. Call your internet provider and ask if there’s another satellite that might be more suitable for your specific location.
- Think about switching satellite internet providers: If all else fails, another satellite internet provider may be the answer to your problems. After all, some providers only have one satellite for all of their customers, which might not be in a good position for your home. Consider switching providers if you can’t get anywhere with the previous tips.
JDS Systems provides fast, reliable HughesNet satellite internet. To learn more about our internet services or get more tips on how to boost your satellite internet signal in San Bernardino County, CA, call our offices today. We look forward to assisting you!